1. First and foremost, do not break the law. If a police officer tells you to move, be polite and move on—do not argue with the police. Remember, the police are not the enemy; they are doing their jobs.
2. Marching/Walking Guidelines
a. Keep moving.
b. Stay on the sidewalks, but do not obstruct others from passing by, entering or exiting a building. Do not occupy more than half of the sidewalk at any time.
c. Stay in groups of five or less. Again, make sure your group does not occupy over one half of the sidewalk at any time.
d. Do not congregate in front of buildings and do not block people from entering or exiting buildings. Do not obstruct people from passing by you and impairing his/her rights from passing by you.
In other words: Do not obstruct flow of traffic on streets or sidewalks!!!
A direct quote from a National Lawyer’s Guild attorney: "When, and if, they disrupt safe and efficient flow of traffic on either, police may intervene to protect public safety."
3. At the Veterans Memorial Park
• Keep within the parameters of the permit:
The rally point is Veterans memorial Plaza (VMP), not the Soldiers and Sailors Monument (as pictured in many posters)
VMP is to be used as a rally or gathering point only
All activities must conclude no later than 6:00 PM; all clean-up must be complete by 8:00 PM.
There will be NO camping, squatting, cooking or other related activities within VMP at any time.
Tents and/or grills are not permitted in VMP.
VMP is located at 50 East North Street
The parking meters surrounding VMP are free on Saturday & Sunday but vehicles are not permitted to park overnight
The restrooms inside the Indiana War Memorial are for the use of Museum visitors only
There is no bathing or splashing permitted in the fountain
All foot traffic on sidewalks are required to follow the traffic law; attendees must stop at cross walks & only cross when prompted by the automatic signals
Foot Traffic shall not impede the Indiana AIDS walk along the east Meridian Street sidewalk between Monument Circle and St Claire Street
Foot Traffic shall not impede access to businesses, homes, churches, museums or government buildings.
Trash bins & Portalets must be provided
b. Camping is not permitted on public property. Camping will NOT be tolerated at the memorial park. Persons are not allowed in public parks after 11 PM.
4. Be advised that there is precedent for the seizure of cameras under the presumption that they may contain evidence of crimes. If you want to use a camera, understand that you run this risk. Please don’t use your smart phone as a camera, you may wind up losing it.
5. Stay off of Federal Property – this invokes the broad and far-reaching Patriot Act. We would need some serious civil rights lawyers to assist if the Patriot Act is invoked.